5/6/11

Time

Fear  Sad  Lonely  Glad


When I was a kid, summer break seemed like a lifetime.  Three months of no school!!  A year was even longer.  And five years?  An eternity.  For a ten year old, five years represents half of your life, which is why I think it seemed like such a long time. For a 50 year old, five years is only 10% of your life, which is  why the older I get, the faster time seems to fly by.  It's not my imagination.  In the scope of my entire life here on earth, time is moving faster.


When my kids were young, everyone I knew in their 40's and 50's with high school and college kids warmed me how fast the time would go.  I didn't believe them.  Not only could I not imagine myself being "old" like they were, but I couldn't imagine my kids graduating from high school and leaving for college.


Jay, (#2 of 6) graduates from high school this Tuesday night.  I don't think it's possible for a dad to delight in his son anymore than I delight in Jay.  I marvel at the young man he has become and I so enjoy the tender full hearted relationship we share.  I'm more excited about his next four years in college then he is (I know what he's about to experience).  But I am also profoundly sad watching him begin the process of leaving.


He swam his last high school swim meet this past weekend.  I cried.  He sang in his last high school choir recital tonight.  I cried.  He'll give a speech at his graduation ceremony.  I'll cry.  He'll board a plane in September.  I'll sob.


The days are long . . .

    . . . but the years are short.

4 comments:

  1. so true. Now I know why every time I see you your eyes are red. It's all bitter sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to see them leave, but I honestly believe parenting was much easier when my kids were at home and I was "in charge". Possibly the hardest things for me to do, is to watch my young adult (22) children experience the pains of life and, sometimes, the hard consequences of their decisions, and not do anything about it. Nothing drives me to prayer more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My eyes water as I read this, Jeff. Your Boy...will be leaving home. One thing has been true for me and my Girl, in the end, she is still my Girl, but more importantly, she is God's Girl--God's Woman, praise God, as is yours, God's Man--and you helped lead him there--ready for launch! Much love to all! debra

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome! And what an impact you're having on them, my dear friend. They are blessed to have a father who delights in them. Peace to you through these milestones!

    ReplyDelete